Thurs., 4/19, Washington, D.C. & Little Rock, AR
My wake-up call at the Hilton was right on time, 6:15 a.m., and after a quick shower and some final packing I headed down to the breakfast buffet. Nothing to write home about but filling enough and the price was right. Free! I grabbed the shuttle at the hotel, free also, and disembarked at the Metro station for a 35 minute, or so, ride into downtown D.C. I had to make one change at Braddock but the Metro is the way to go in D.C. and probably one of the most reasonably priced forms of transportation there is. Beats a cab any day of the week! After my meeting I hightailed it for Reagan and was standing at the check-in line at 12:29 p.m. for a 12:55 flight. Cutting it close I agree but I was still there in what I argued, and still contend, was plenty of time as I wasn't checking any baggage. Of course, I HATE AMERICAN AIRLINES, informed me that I was too late and therefore had to go on a later flight. I grumbled, and realizing there wasn't anything I could do, took my boarding pass for a 3:40 flight. I did make my way to the gate where my 12:55 was leaving from and it hadn't even begun to board. Using my friendliest smile and tone I could come up with, I approached the gate agent and explained that I was willing and able to get on the flight, especially since they hadn't even begun to board. In the nastiest voice she could possibly muster, she informed me that "I've already chosen my standbys and you aren't getting on this flight"! I promptly pointed out that she was one of the many reasons I only flew AA when there was absolutely no other options. Didn't the government bail out AA a few years ago? Next time maybe they'll let them go to the airline graveyard they've earned for themselves. The beautiful thing was that the 12:55 flight sat at the gate until 2:15 p.m. for who knows why. My AA saga continues. Oh, by the way. Don't fly AA if you can help it as I've yet to have a good experience and I hate to see anyone else go through the torment they can cause a traveler. I'll try to finish this rant. When my flight landed in Dallas, on time, we got the added pleasure of waiting on the tarmac for 20 minutes as the plane at our gate had no crew. They were on the way but evidently hadn't made it. My flight to Little Rock from Dallas? Left on time, got in on time, then we waited 15 minutes for a ground crew to guide the plane in. Enough said about that but when I finally did make it home around 9:00 p.m. I was overdue for a nice glass of wine. Wine review here. When I opened our wine cellar I discovered that we had a bottle of 2005 Montevina Pinot Grigio. What a coincidence I thought. I had their Sauvignon Blanc on Wednesday in D.C. and here on Thursday I'm uncorking their Pinot Grigio. Needless to say I liked this grape offering much better than the Sav. Blanc. On the nose I was astonished how clean and crisp this was. I hesitated in taking that first sip because the nose was so good. When I finally did take that first sip I wasn't disappointed at all. Lots of ripe peach and apricot flavors filled my palate and the finish was absolutely wonderful. I almost gave this one 5 Corkscrews but this one was purchased at $12.99/bottle and based on the price I had to give it 4 Corkscrews for the taste/value combination. If I could find this more in the $8-10 range I would easily bump that up to 5! Try some and let me know if you agree. Sit Long, Talk Much, Laugh Often, Drink Wine!

1 comment:

BillysView said...

A Friend had given me a Trio of the Montevina collection which included a red Zin, Cab and the Pinot Grigio about 6 years ago. I highly agree what a wonderful treat. It's been in the cellar for 6 years, I was sure it had gone bad. I can't wait to open the other 2 bottles. Cheers